Previewing various items for the 22nd annual Boys and Girls Club of Salem Spring Charity Auction are Mary Lou Melanson Sears, Greater Salem Artist Association President, and Ann Lally, Salem Co-op Bank President and Boys and Girls Club Board of Director and Chairperson of this year’s auction. Shown are small samples of art for auction on Saturday night — Salem Town Forest by Nancy Swank, Summer Treasures by Mary Ann Manning, October Visit to Giverny, oil print by Mary Lou Melanson, and Salem Depot Train Station, a pen and ink by Nancy Swank.
Niamh, 2, and her mom are reading stories together
The Kelley Library is more than just a building of books. How many people really take the time to go there and check the library out? There is something there for everyone. With a simple library card there is access to books, magazines, newspapers, records, DVDs, research materials, government documents, national databases, computers and computer programs, a children’s story hour, photocopiers, museum passes, meeting room facilities, a community bulletin board, and many more things to explore and use.
All these services, as well as research assistance, a magazine research center, specialized reference collections, a quiet study room, and an inter-library loan service are free to all Salem residents who obtain a library card. With the many things available, one thing is certain: Kelley Library is an information service network for everyone.
A public library in Salem came into existence in 1893 and was granted a $25 appropriation by the town. The State of New Hampshire donated $100 to the library fund, generous citizens donated to the book fund, and the library opened up in the old Meeting House before moving to its own building.
Salem’s first librarian was Ernest Silver who then went on to serve as president of Plymouth State College. In eight years under his management, the library book collection grew to 2,000 and circulation to 4,851.
In 1924, Alice Hall became the librarian, a position she would hold for the next 50 years. Hall contributed greatly to the progress of the library, convincing the trustees to allow school children to borrow books, opening the building for more hours, and continuing to build the book collection. By the 1940’s, the library was open four days a week, and warmed by a new oil furnace.
In 1961, Arthur Kelley bequeathed funds for a new library, which was completed in 1966. The two-story building was led by director James Connors. As the town grew, the need for new services and activities also grew and the building quickly became inadequate.
In 1978, an addition was built onto the existing building to create the present library building.
Today, Kelley Library has over 300 subscriptions to popular business magazines, over 12 newspaper subscriptions (local and national), books in all formats (hardback, paperback, large print, reference...), music on CD for patrons of all ages, recorded books, recorded movies, documentaries and television shows for all in different formats, games on electronic formats, records of town and school district meetings, back issues of several local papers on microfilm, extensive historical documents, and online research databases — not only to support research for school, but also genealogical research, crafts directions, auto repair, medical information, and business tools.
As shown, Kelley Library is really a place to learn, to enjoy, to just sit down and relax. With a full staff ready to help, come in and check out your interests; you won’t be sorry. Any questions, call Kelley Library at 898-7064 or online at www.salem.lib.nh.us.
Note: A special thanks to the people at the Kelley Library for their patience and help in collecting the information for this article, especially Paul Giblin and Monique Duhamel (Salem Observer, 1988).
Ed from Salem looking at the many DVD’s
Mike Razza, using the computer
Brin Harper, with her winning word ‘contained’
In the season of Spelling Bees, Soule School held their annual spelling challenge with grades four and five. This was a more laid back event within the district, with trophies and certificates. The words were more common than some of the Bees but very appropriate for the grade levels involved. After much pride and stress beaming from the parents in the audience, Brin Harper (grade 4) was the winner with ‘contained’, while Glenn Donovan (grade 5) pulled off the prize with ‘enemies’. This is a type of event that builds confidence while making learning a strong force in the grade schools by improving the students reading and writing skills.
The fourth grade spellers warming up before the Bee
This is really tough!
Pat Hargreaves (Field of Dreams selectmen representative), Pat Good (Field of Dreams vice president), Ross Trecartin (president), and Chris Dillon (recreation director)
Field of Dreams, located on Geremonty Drive in Salem, is looking for help from the community for its annual Spring Cleanup on Saturday, April 4, from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
This winter’s season, along with the enormous ice storm, has left massive amounts of tree limbs and debris that must be removed before the park can be used for seasonal recreation.
Volunteers are asked to bring rakes, tarps, gloves, trimmers, and friends.
This is a great way to earn student community service hours, spend some family time together outdoors, and get to know your neighbors in Salem.
In the event of rain, Cleanup day will be April 11.
For more information or to let us know you will help, see www.fieldofdreams-nh.org or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Field of Dreams is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization run by volunteers.
Lowest Gas Prices in Salem
Salem Gas Prices provided by GasBuddy.com