Hudson~Litchfield Sports

Cougar Comeback Thwarts Epping

by Tom Roye

Kyle Mun carrying the ball down the field against Epping.

History has shown Campbell boys soccer Coach Emma Okonkwo that Epping always comes to play when they visit Campbell.  The veteran coach cautioned his Cougars to be ready to play an aggressive, physical opponent.  The visiting Blue Devils did not disappoint as they battled the Cougars to the very end in Monday’s 4 - 2 Campbell victory.  “I wasn’t surprised,” Okonkwo said.  “Epping plays us very tough, they are always really competitive.”

The Cougars would strike first only minutes into the game when sophomore Andrew Schibly drove home a goal after a scramble in front of the visitors net.  Campbell would keep the pressure on, having several scoring opportunities end with near misses.  “We scored early and it looked like we backed off a little expecting an easy win,” said Okonkwo.

Epping struck back however, when Chris Dunleavy sliced through the Cougar defense and punched in a goal to knot the score at 1 - 1 midway through the first half.  Both sides would exchange momentum throughout the first half with neither being able to put in the go-ahead score.

The visiting Blue Devils shocked the Cougars, scoring almost immediately at the start of the second half.  Epping midfielder Cam Baer converted a Dunleavy assist to give his team a 2 - 1 lead with only a minute gone.  The Blue Devils continued to press the attack, seizing momentum and leaving the Cougars stunned and reeling.  In a three-minute span Dunleavy, Baer, and Dan DeGranpre all had good scoring opportunities as it began to appear that the visitors were headed for an upset.

Captain Nick Schibly succeeded in settling his teammates down as he began to take matters into his own hands.  The lanky senior made several individual runs at Epping keeper Jimmy Reordan and helped to swing momentum back in Campbell’s direction.  On one such run Schibly sent a through ball to teammate Andrew Cialek who broke free behind the Epping defense.  Reordan left the net in an attempt to cut off Cialek’s run.  The two opponents, who had had several near misses during the course of the game, collided into one another about 10 yards from the goal.  The ball popped out and the opportunistic Nick Schibly found himself staring at an empty net, and tapped home the equalizer.

With the score tied Okonkwo went to his bench and summoned senior Gordie Wade and juniors Taylor Hall and Ryan Donaghey.  The fresh legs played immediate dividends as Wade drilled home a goal off of a Schibly assist, giving Campbell a 3 - 2 lead.  Not to be outdone, Hall matched Wade’s production when he beat Reordan on a breakaway giving the Cougars a two-goal cushion.  Schibly, who had asserted himself offensively in the second half, picked up the assist on Hall’s goal as well.

Afterward, Okonkwo saw room for improvement and things to be very happy about as well.  “We basically gave them the lead at the start of the second half,” he said, adding,“ but we showed a lot of heart in being able to come back.”  The Cougars improved to 5 - 2 – 2, seventh in the Class M standings.  Results of Wednesday’s home date with top-ranked Sanborn and Friday’s road game at Hillsboro were not available at press time.  The boys return home on Tuesday, October 14, when they host Raymond.  The two teams battled to a 1 - 1 tie in the season opener at Raymond.

Return to Top

Home Sweet Home for Broncos

by Sue LaRoche

Alvirne punter Derek Janko is protected by blocker No. 15, Vincent Frasco and No. 34, Andrew Conrad, in first period action as AHS defeated Spaulding.

Both games that the Alvirne Broncos have played on their home turf have been a notch in the win column.  On Friday, October 3, the Broncos easily defeated Spaulding 34 - 7. 

It didn’t take the Broncos long to get on the scoreboard, as Vinnie Frasco took a punt from the Alvirne 20 to the Spaulding 32 yard line giving the Broncos a golden scoring opportunity which they capitalized on at the 7:23 mark of the first quarter.  Runs by Andrew Conrad and Keith Rondeau had the Broncos on the Spaulding 3 yard line and on second and goal, Chris Goldsack ran for the touchdown on a quarterback keeper.  Some trickery on the extra point saw the holder Jon Baldwin throw to Sean Moyen for the 8 - 0 lead. 

With 2:12 remaining in the second quarter, the Broncos put another score on the board as they marched down the field from their own 20.  A combination of running (26 yards) and passing (60 yards) set up the 2-yard plunge by Nick Goldsack.  Jim Reidy tacked on the extra point to give the Broncos a 15 - 0 lead going into the half.

It didn’t take long for the Broncos to add to their lead when Rondeau took the opening kickoff from the Alvirne 20 to the Spaulding 43 yard line, once again giving the Broncos excellent field position.  Rondeau ran three times for 35 yards and Chris Goldsack ran for the final 8 yards to take the 21 - 0 lead.  Once again, Reidy added the extra point for a 22 - 0 lead.

On Alvirne’s next possession, Chris Goldsack appeared to be in the grasp of a host of Spaulding defenders but he managed to find Vinnie Frasco on a third down and 15 from the Spaulding 42, to move the Broncos to the Spaulding 13 yard line.  Goldsack hooked up with Chris Connolly in the back of the end zone to extend the lead to 28 - 0 as the extra point was missed.

The final scoring drive of the night was solely a running drive as Frasco ran for 27 yards and Rondeau scampered for 40 yards including a touchdown, bringing the final score to 34 - 7. 

The Bronco defense was superb on the evening as they worked together most of the night, with more than one defender in on most tackles.  The defense was led by Matt Nowak with 11 tackles, Derek Janko with seven tackles, Steve Tan with six tackles, and Frasco, Nick Goldsack and Brennan Donnelly contributing five each.

Chris Goldsack finished the night going 10 for 17 for 136 yards through the air including one touchdown.  Rondeau finished with 168 yards rushing and Frasco added 81 yards.  The Broncos (2 - 3 overall, 1 - 2 in the Division) will be at home on Friday night, October 10, as they take on 2 - 2 Division 2 foe the Dover Green Wave.

Return to Top

Campbell Update

by Tom Roye

Campbell Sophomore Shannon Savard, reaches for the ball in a play against Hillsboro-Deering

This Saturday the football team hosts a key Division 6 team when the Franklin Golden Tornados visit Litchfield for a 1:30 p.m. kickoff.  Both teams enter the contest with 4 - 0 records and are tied atop the standings.  As always the Cougars will depend on their stingy defense and improving offense as they take on the impressive visitors.  In Campbell’s 27 - 0 victory at Fall Mountain last Friday, senior tailback Kevin Cushman ran for 130 yards and a touchdown while junior quarterback Kiel Canada ran for 100 yards and threw for two touchdowns.  After four Division 6 contests, the Cougars have yet to allow an offensive touchdown.  They will be tested as Franklin comes in averaging 33 points a game.

For the first time in recent memory the Campbell volleyball team sits at the .500 mark with a 5 - 5 record.  Despite a 3 - 1 loss at Mascenic on Monday, the girls have won five of their last seven games.  The improved play of the team has the girls pointing toward a possible state tournament berth.  The girls return home on October 13 when they host currently undefeated Nute.

Campbell senior golfer Tyler Merrill wrapped up his career in fine style this week, finishing 13th in the State Class M and S Golf Championships, held at Pleasant Valley Country Club in Gilford.  Merrill shot an impressive 85 despite the cold an rainy conditions Saturday.  Coach Shawn Flynn was happy for his senior captain.  “Tyler’s performance in the state meet was a great way for him to finish up,” said Flynn. “Anytime we place a golfer in the top 20 it’s a great accomplishment.”

The Campbell girls soccer team continued its run toward a top four finish in Class M with a 2 - 1 victory over Hillsboro-Deering on October 2 and a 5 - 1 win over White Mountains on October 4.  The girls stand in second place at 10 - 1.  The only blemish on Campbell’s record was a 3 - 2 double overtime loss at Sanborn Regional on September 30.  The girls return home on October 10 to host Somersworth.

With all of the Campbell sports teams battling for tournament position it looks to be an interesting few weeks as the fall seasons wrap up. 

Return to Top

Volleyball on a Roll

by Sue LaRoche

The Lady Broncos volleyball squad is on a roll having won four of its last five matches.  On Monday, it soundly defeated Merrimack 25 - 16, 25 - 22 and 25 - 16.  The Broncos played an all around great match, clicking on offense and defense.

“The girls worked as a team for this victory,” said Coach Lisa Gingras.

Leading the way for Alvirne was Jess Marshall with 16 service points, three blocks, six kills and 12 digs.  Sam Hill had seven kills and DJ Purcell added six.  Setters Kate Brouillette (21 assists) and Kayla Duval (nine assists) spread the setting around to all Bronco hitters.  Devon Masse added one block, six service points, six kills and two aces.

Katie Donovan played well on the offensive and defensive side of the ball as she had six service points, two aces, one block, five digs and nine kills.  Ashley Metivier was flawless on defense as she had 27 digs. 

But perhaps the biggest cheer of the evening belonged to Ashley Tomaswick.  “Tommy” is on a comeback from knee injury she sustained last year in basketball, which required surgery.  Stepping into game 3 to serve for Hill, Tomaswick served her first varsity point of the year.  Although she owes her coach some running for missing her second serve, Tomaswick replied, “I’m so happy to have to run!” 

Return to Top

Green Wave Rolls Over Broncos

by Sue LaRoche

The Alvirne boys soccer team suffered another frustrating defeat on Tuesday, October 7, losing 2 - 1 to Dover High School.  The Broncos played well but could not find the back of the net as they missed on several key scoring opportunities.

With less than two minutes to play, Dover got on the board first, pushing a shot past goalie Aaron Fellows.  The Broncos came right back and, with under 30 seconds to play in the first half, Kashif Higgins put a rebound off of a shot from Mike O’Donnell past the Dover goalie to tie the score at 1 - 1.

In a penalty-filled contest, Alvirne played well as the play of midfielders Jake Galloway and Bob Gaudet allowed the Broncos to maintain possession of the ball for a good portion of the game.  “This puts us in a ‘must win’ situation for the next three games,” reported Coach Michael Palmer who still has visions of a playoff berth.  The 1 - 9 Broncos will travel to Goffstown on Friday, October 10, and will host Exeter on Tuesday, October 14.

Return to Top

Broncos Fall Short

by Terry Leatherman

On Thursday the ladies welcomed the Crimson of Concord.  The first half ended in a 0 - 0 tie as both teams struggled to mount an effective offense.  The second half was a different story as the teams turned up the pressure and made the defenses work especially hard.  In the 55th minute, Concord was the first to score.  The tandem of Amanda Roberts and Shayla Bergeron struck again in the 60th minute.  Roberts got the score while Bergeron got the assist.  Unfortunately, the Crimson answered again in the 70th minute with another score.  The Broncos changed tactics and moved another Bronco up front to really put the pressure on the Crimson defense.  The Broncos put up a furious rally for the last eight to 10 minutes of the match keeping the ball in the defensive zone, but Concord repeatedly cleared the ball out of bounds.  The score ended in a 2 - 1 loss.  Amanda Eaton was in goal and had seven saves and the Broncos managed 11 shots.  The coaches noted the following players for superior games, Caitlyn Teague and Kayla Belanger on defense and Jessica Heroux at midfielder.

This Tuesday the Broncos made the long bus trip to Dover to take on the Green Wave.  The Wave lived up to the name, winning 6 - 3.  Bergeron was responsible for all three Bronco scores, the first two coming on penalty kicks and the third on a direct kick just outside the 18-yard box.  The direct kick was exciting as the Broncos put on a special play to trick the Wave.  It worked but the referee whistle had not blown so they had to do it again.  This time they worked another play as two girls made attempts to kick the ball only to have “Bergie” come around the corner and put the ball in the top shelf.  Eaton started in net and had 12 saves.  Kaela Craven finished up with six saves.  Alvirne had 16 shots on net while Dover put 24 shots on net.  Players of note where Roberts at forward, Heroux and Taylor Troy at midfield and Kayla St. Louis played the Kevin Youkilis of the team at multiple positions.

The ladies travel to Exeter on Tuesday and entertain Keene on Friday night.  Come out and watch some entertaining soccer. 

Return to Top

Cougar JV Soccer

submitted by Coach David Dwyer

The Campbell High School boys junior varsity soccer team is eight games into the fall season and is looking good.  The journey started on August 18 during preseason training and the boys have been running at least five days a week since. 

The season started on September 2 with a tough match against Raymond High School, which ended in a 2 - 2 tie, goals scored by Jacob Mercier and John Hinkley.  The next match was against a strong Hopkinton team, which could have gone either way.  Tim Heaton scored a nice goal just before halftime and Greg LeBel shot the game winner in the second half, to help with the 2 - 1 win.  September 10 saw the Cougars host St.Thomas Aquinas of Dover.  With Tyler Germond in net, and a strong defense, including Even Leith, Garrett Bryant, Owen Duffy, and Travis Soucy, the student-athletes won the match 5 - 0.  Goals scored by Errol Fuertes (2), Kyle Mun, Mercier, and Kevin Huston.

Pelham visited CHS on September 15 and proved to be a challenge.  It took a while to score, but the defense kept Pelham from scoring and the offense found the net with LeBel scoring two goals assisted by Mun. 

On September 17 the boys took to the road to play Sanborn Regional in Kingston.  Only minutes into the match, Sanborn forced its way past the CHS defense and scored at ease.  Usually, the team that scores first wins, but the Cougars didn’t give up and prevailed in a 3 - 1 victory with goals scored by Mercier, Even Leith and Errol Fuertes. 

CHS traveled to Prospect Mountain in Barnstead on September 19.  During the first half, Campbell pressured the defense and forced two goals by the Timberwolves with Soucy adding a quality goal to go ahead 3 - 0 at the half.  In second-half, Germond came out of net and in a forward position netted two goals.  Other players scoring that day included Hinkley, Fuertes and Leith. 

On September 22, Winnisquam Regional from Tilton visited CHS.  The boys pounced on their opponents and finished the match with a 3 - 0 victory.  Mun scored two and Hinkley added the third.  Also helping in the midfield was Tim Beauregard, who is coming back from an injury and Jeff Croteau, who recently joined the team. 

On October 1 the student-athletes played at Hopkinton.  The Hawks were persistent in their efforts to get past the CHS defense and scored six goals.  Campbell did not give up and Soucy scored the last goal of the game, lost 6 - 2 to Hopkinton.

The boys continue to play well together and have as they have improved their team communication and have emphasized defense as a priority.  With a record of 6 - 1 - 1, they are off to a good start.  Hopefully with five games remaining they will improve their passing game.  The last home game will be on Tuesday, October 14 at 4 p.m. against Raymond High School.  Best of luck to our CHS Cougars!  

Return to Top

Hudson-Litchfield Bears Game Summaries

submitted by Deanna Tardif

Mitey Mite White

The Hudson-Litchfield Mitey Mite White team played a fierce game Sunday against the Derry Demons and came up short in a hard-fought loss.  The Bears drove down field several times into scoring position while the Demons defense held steady and contained the Bears back field.  The Bears defense battled the entire game against a tough offense.  Keep your heads up Mighty Might White.  Great job on the field!

Mitey Mite Blue

The Hudson-Litchfield Mitey Mite Blue Bears visited the North Country Wolfpack in Lancaster for a fall football showdown.  The Bears played a great game, trading touchdowns with the Wolfpack.  In the end, the Wolfpack won the extra-point battle.  It was an exciting game from start to finish.  Next week the Bears will play the Nashua Elks.

Junior Pee Wee White

The Hudson-Litchfield Bears Junior Pee Wee White football team made the long journey out west to face the Keene Knights on Sunday.  Although the game was early and a chill was in the air, the Bears showed up ready to play and took care of business, defeating the Knights 34 - 12.  The always-stingy defense allowed only six points as the other Keene score was recorded on a fumble recovery and a touchdown return.  The Bears offense, sparked by strong play by the offensive line, moved the ball at will and helped seal the victory, keeping the Bears in playoff contention.  Next Sunday the Bears travel to Nashua to take on the Nashua Elks Crusaders.

Pee Wee

In an extremely tough defensive battle, the Hudson-Litchfield Pee Wee Bears shut out the previously undefeated and un-scored-upon Derry Demons 8 - 0.  First downs were few for both teams throughout the first three quarters, until the Bears put the ball in the end-zone.  Defensive plays by Mike Gamache, Jack Mahoney and Alex Wetmore, with assists from many others, provided the difference as the Bears held onto their slim lead and shut out the Demons.

Junior Pee Wee Blue lost to Derry Red 20 - 24.

Junior Midgets defeated Derry 34 - 6. 

Return to Top

Hudson Revolution Loses Double Header to Londonderry USC

submitted by Bob and Laurie Barry

Freedom Field should have been front page news this weekend and the headlines would have read, Hudson Revolution versus Londonderry USC in Double Header.  Each team was ready, willing and determined to lay it all out on the line.  Londonderry versus Hudson, a tough call, which team would win?  Both have yet to lose this season.

Hudson started off strong in the first half with a penalty kick in the box and Richie Eaton getting the chance to put the Revolution on top.  Richie blasted one past the goalie and Hudson was on the board first, 1 - 0.  Well that didnt take too long, neither did Richies assist moments later to Aaron Bellomo for a beauty of a header and Hudson changed the scoreboard once again to 2 - 0.

Londonderry wasted no time to reverse the pressure and test Hudsons goalie Adam Chandonnet with some real quality shots with Adam coming out on top.  Londonderry still kept on plugging away and finally put two goals in past Hudson and tied the game at 2 - 2.

The start of the second half was just the opposite of the first.  This time Londonderry kept the pressure on Hudson and it was just a matter of time before something broke.  Unfortunately something did.  A collision of two players going up for a header sent both boys crashing to the ground.  Aaron B. for Hudson received a gash requiring medical attention over the eyebrow and the Londonderry player suffered a concussion.  Lets all pray for a quick recovery for both kids.

Londonderry recovered well from the accident and put two more goals in and stayed on top of its game to win the first of two against their now-beaten and battered adversary.

Hudsons defense, banged up a bit, remained strong and put down many attempts from Londonderry.  John Hincapie, defenseman for Hudson, was one player that shined like a new penny.  He was a thorn in Londonderrys side as much as the non-calls were for Hudson.

Londonderry may have won this battle but the war is far from over.  Dont change that channel and stay in your seats, game 2 is just around the corner.

Again here we are at Freedom Field.  Sundays game should be a real nail biter.  Londonderry won the first 4 - 2 and lost one boy as did Hudson.  No wait, theres Aaron B. cocked, locked and ready to rock.  Seems the hospital did a fine job and rebuilt him, making him better than he was, better, stronger, faster.  Actually they just glued the wound shut and told him to be careful, no more headers for a few days.

Here we go again.  Hudson came out with a quick goal from a nice setup pass from Richie Eaton to you know who, Ill be back, Aaron B. and with some new spare parts and a little glue holding it all in place Aaron ziged and zaged and placed Hudson on top 1 - 0.

Londonderry, however, didnt come unglued and stuck to its game plan and put one past Adam C. to tie the game at 1 - 1 before the end of the first half.  It could have been a lot more but Adam made some great diving saves and kept the damages to 1.

The first halfs highlights for Hudson were Richie E. just skimming the cross bar from a 30-yard shot, brilliant defense from Mike Deminico, Liam Kelly, John Hincapie and P.J. Martineau.  Offense, coming on strong, were Matt Poegel, Dan Teague and Cam Cormay.

Second half, Hudson repeated the offensive drive quickly and Aaron B. set up Cam C. for a nice header to punch its way into the back of the net for a 2 - 1 lead for Hudson.  However the whistle came out again this time and the next, against Hudson and Londonderry tied it at 2 - 2.  Then minutes later Londonderry took the lead, 3 - 2.

Mike Pease switched places with Adam C. in net for the start of the half and saw plenty of action.  With Adam out now, he worked this time around the other net and put in a nice goal to tie things at 3 - 3.

Londonderry with a little help from a whistle, came up with a fourth goal and won the game 4 - 3 and the series 2 - 0.

It was a tough two-game loss for Hudson but with players like Aaron B. on your team how can you lose.  He came back from a down-and-out situation and never gave up, scoring and assisting.  Now thats one brave kid as well as two brave parents.  Hudsons coaching staff, as always, a class act.  Theyre all winners in my book.  So keep on coming to the games and supporting the team.

Hudson’s Richie Eaton battling two Londonderry players for the ball.

Return to Top

Hudson Tennis League Wins Finals

Residents of Lockwood Village in Hudson, along with some friends from Nashua, recently formed an eight-team Lockwood Tennis League, which played in a Swiss-elimination match during the past few weeks.  Four rounds of matches were played, about one round per week.  Lockwood Village played in the semi finals on October 4 and in the final matches on October 5. 

Kadhir Kanniyappan and Raj Rajkuma of Nashua and Ram Kancharla and Tej Singh of Hudson won their semi-final matches against Sachin and Santanu, Nagaraj and Prakash, respectively.  Kadhir and Raj won the finals against Ram and Tej.

Ram, Hanu and Tej receiving their trophies.

Return to Top

IWS Sweep Men’s Softball Playoffs

IWS (formally known as United) played in the Hudson Men’s Softball Championship game on August 26 against Sousa at Jette Field.  The championship game was a great game played by both teams. 

IWS successfully defended its title, the repeat champions went undefeated (7 – 0) in the playoff run. 

Congratulations team, and thanks to our sponsor IWS.  Looking forward to another season next year and hope all will be returning. 

Return to Top
Return to Top
17 Executive Drive, Suite One, Hudson, NH 03051 Phone: (603)880-1516 Fax: (603)879-9707
email: Copyright © 2005-2009 Area News Group