Salem Schools are Open
Adam Berthel, 6, of Salem, sets foot on his new school bus for the first time.
Adam was very excited about his first day of first grade at Fisk School.
An outdoor summer concert was held on the grounds of the First Baptist Church on 101 School Street. A large crowd showed up and because of the hot sun, a huge tent had been set up. The concert series started with Bill Ellis playing beautiful religious songs. Next the First Baptist Church Youth Group Praise and Worship Band took the stage. This is one band that can’t be missed – it does an incredible job singing and playing multiple of instruments. It was a shocker to many as they performed way beyond their years. A food line came next with hot dogs, watermelon and drinks. Too much food, but very well done. The night ended with performances by two other bands and a renewed belief in faith. Good job Baptist Church!
Hope you have many more of these nights!
Bill Ellis performing
No. 6 Schoolhouse Now and Then
When you get off Exit 2 in Salem right after Fisk Elementary School, there stands a beautiful old building on the left side of the road, the former No. 6 Schoolhouse, which is worth looking at for its beauty.
The school has been through more changes than any other school in Salem. The first schoolhouse was a small building on the northeast corner of Main and Policy streets. It was probably built at the time when school districts were first established in 1801. It was used for a 25 years until about 1825, when the stone house was built by John Merrill. He owned the land where the old building stood. The stone house was used for 48 years until a new one was built in 1873. It was a small building and eventually it could not accommodate the rising population of students in the Salem Depot area, and was sold. The same year, another building with the needed space was built in the same spot and was used for 25 years until it was consumed by a fire in 1894. The present building was built in 1895 and was used as the No. 6 District School until 1958. This school was nicknamed the “Frost” school because Robert Frost attended this school where his mother taught. The old stone schoolhouse still stands and it is adjacent to the intersection of Main and Policy streets. After 1958, the school became a town building and selectmen meetings were held there. It was also used for other town purposes including a courthouse. Recently the building was converted into offices.
(Part of this information was the result of an Eagle Scout project by Jason Reynolds, Boy Scout Troop 409).
As the building appears now
How it appeared in 1906
Granddaughters High Tea
Last week, the Salem Senior Center had a very special day for its lady members – high tea for grandmothers and granddaughters. This event was done with class, complete with fancy bite-sized snacks, fruit juice and special teapots and cups. The ages varied from very young to a three-generation clan. In a couple of cases, the grandkids could not make the trip so family photos took the empty places.
A round table introduction took place from the grandkids saying “hi” to statements on their loved families. This was a special time for all with much a better understanding of what the grandparents find so appealing at the senior center. After a few games played with prizes, all left with a better understanding of the importance of family.
Louis and Katie Kurgin
Jean Landry with Julia and Jillian St. Hilaire